January 7, 2008

Elizabeth Taylor Lives in My Backyard


Elizabeth Taylor - beautiful, dynamic, demanding; fiery, award-winning and notorious. She lives in my backyard...sort-of.

My Elizabeth Taylor isn’t a person and isn’t even a “she.” “She” is a “he” and he is a horse of a different color...a 25-year-old solid bay gelding named “Moose.”

I fell in love with Moose the day I met him at the barn where my daughter was taking riding lessons. I was sitting atop a wooden fence watching her lesson when a horse in an adjacent corral nuzzled me from behind looking for a treat. I turned around and there stood a tall stout reddish-brown horse with a short black mane, long black tail and warm expressive eyes. He was built like a moose.

The more I found out about Moose, the more I was drawn to him. He was a living oxymoron. He had a horrible reputation among the students at the barn, yet he was owned and ridden by a grown boy who was challenged. He kicked horses tied next to him; pitched a bucking fit at a local horse show; had a reputation for biting; chewed reins, lead ropes and halters; tore brushes from their shelves and threw them in the dirt; stung you with a swish of his tail if you brushed him too hard; hated men; tested riders who didn’t know what they were doing, and dangerously attached himself to any mare or jenny stalled next to him. He was an emotional wreck.

He was also the most well-trained western pleasure horse I have ever seen in my life. He cantered in place; responded only to leg and seat pressure; collected himself instantly whenever ridden; knew how to side pass, pivot and spin, and took perfect care of child and child-like riders who quietly sat on him and let him do his job. Word around the barn was that he was a former show horse and had “done it all.”

I didn’t need a horse and I’m not a very good rider, but I bought him the day I found out he was for sale. I had no business buying the middle-aged gelding - but I was attached to him and I am someone who has always loved a challenge.

To my surprise I found out my tall strapping brown moose with the telling eyes, tiny ears and small hooves turned out to be a registered Appaloosa with a famous sire, an impressive pedigree and a successful show record. O’Hara, son of Goer. I was shocked when, researching Goer on the internet, I found an article about Goer at http://members.tripod.com/~barnlot/goernarr.html and a portion of the article read, “....Some of Goer's most influential get include Goever, King Goer, Go-You-Er, Go For Me, Goers DBL Bright and O'Hara -- all Appaloosa Horse Club champions - ...” He was the 1984 World Champion in the Weanling Geldings class, in 1993 he earned a Register of Merit in Halter and spent the first half of his life traveling the Appaloosa Horse Show circuit across the United States.

My horse was famous!!, (at least among the late 1980’s Appaloosa crowd.). The more I thought about the old coot and the better I got to know him, the more I felt like I had a former “Star” living in my barn.

For various reasons, his unique beauty, gifted skills and fiery attitude reminded me of Elizabeth Taylor, perhaps the last of the great Hollywood stars. Dame Taylor started her career at a very young age (National Velvet comes to mind) and throughout her acting career she achieved many accolades and awards – as did my horse. One of Elizabeth Taylor’s trademarks is her beautiful violet eyes, and while my horse’s eyes are neither violet nor particularly beautiful, they are expressive of his mood at any given moment – they’ll let you know if he’s calm and cooperating, or if he’s feeling persnickety, willful or angry. Both the actress and the horse are in their twilight years, afflicted with age-related health problems, and are no longer in their spotlights, yet they still have that charismatic “special something” that glows from within and sets them apart from their equals.

During the past decade, Moose my “challenge” has become Moose my special friend. I still can’t ride him very well (although my daughter, the professionally trained rider, can put him through his paces) but the old coot puts up with me. Anyone else on his back, however, will always be tested by him. I’ve learned which of his buttons not to push and he rewards me with nickers, patience and love. The only evidence of his previous life as a show horse is his uncanny knack of dropping his head and collectedly cantering across the pasture, even when he’s playing.

I am Moose’s last and longest owner but I’m sure his intense personality has left as much of an impression on his previous owners as it has on me. He’s one horse who surely has done it all.

1 comment:

Linda said...

You know what's funny, Marie? After reading this I kind of want to ask you for her.. uh his autograph. I wont though, because I have a feeling it would make him snippy and agrumentative. I would love to see him playing in the pasture though... THAT sounds adorable.